Vihara Phra Mongkol Bopit is situated on the south of Wat Phra Si Sanphet and is where the bronze Buddha image in the attitude of subduing Mara is situated. This Buddha image has a lap measurement at 9.55 metres and height at 12.45 metres. This is one of the biggest Buddha image in Thailand. It was assumed to be built during the Ayutthaya Era of King Songtam. The King transferred the location from the east side to the west side which has been the location since then. After that the King ordered to build a dome on top.
However, in the era of King Suer, a thunderbolt struck at the tip of the dome which causes damage to the dome. The King ordered to restore the dome and change the roof of the dome to a cathedral and the top of Phra Mongkol Bopit was extended during the reign of King Barommakote. During the 2nd fall of Ayutthaya, Vihara Phra Mongkol Bopit was ruined by the enemy. After that King Rama V ordered to restore this vihara again in the Ayuttaya architectural style. It is a good model of the Buddha image during the end of Ayutthaya reign.
Originally, the east side of the vihara is Sanam Luang, which was used for the cremation ceremony of the Kings and the royalties same as the Sanam Luang in Bangkok.
The head of a sandstone Buddha statue nestled in the tree roots beside the minor chapels of Wat Maha That. The temple is one of the most tourist and photographic attractions in the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Ayutthaya, an ancient capital of Siam (Thailand).
Wat Phra Si Sanphet was the holiest temple on the site of the old Royal Palace in ancient capital of Ayutthaya until the city was completely destroyed by the Burmese in 1767. It was the grandest and most beautiful temple in the capital and it served as a model for Wat Phra Kaew in Bangkok.
In its final stage before its destruction of the temple was an impressive structure. Additional facilities were located on a raised platform, the three chedis, which are today the only buildings which have been restored. From all other the foundations are still preserved.
The chedi is built in the classic, Ceylonese design that is reminiscent of a bell. In every direction small chapels are recognized, lead to which steep stairs. The roof of the chapels are in turn topped with a miniature chedi. Each of the three chedi is on the eastern side assigned a Mondop where possibly footprints Buddha were.
To the entire complex there drew a high perimeter wall, four gate passages in the four directions offered access to the temple. Inside along the wall were alternately small chedis and low pavilions (Sala). Of these small chedi are still some survived.
Wat Chaiwatthanaram is a Buddhist temple in the city of Ayutthaya Historical Park, Thailand, on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, outside Ayutthaya island. It is one of Ayutthaya's best known temples and a major tourist attraction.
The temple was constructed in 1630 by the king Prasat Thong as the first temple of his reign, as a memorial of his mother's residence in that area. The temple's name literally means the Temple of long reign and glorious era. It was designed in Khmer style, which was popular in that time.
After the total destruction of the old capital by the Burmese in 1767, from which Wat Chai Watthanaram was not spared, the temple was deserted. Theft, sale of bricks from the ruins and the beheading of the Buddha statues were common. Only in 1987 did the Thai Department of Fine Arts start restoring the site. In 1992 it was opened to the public.